Sunday, November 18, 2012

Spiced Pumpkin Balls Redux



Wishing you all a happy and delicious Thanksgiving spent with those you love.

I shared this recipe with you last year.  It's so delicious that I'm mentioning it again in case some of you missed the original.  

It's time to start on the Thanksgiving meal.  There are a few components that benefit from being made a few days ahead.  These spicy golden orbs are one of those do-ahead dishes.  The preparation lends a nice aroma to the house as well.  I've been making them since last century!! In years past, I've doubled and tripled the recipe quite successfully.  This year we are only six for the table and I just made a pint.  I hope I don't regret having so little for leftovers!!





I believe this recipe is from a long, long ago Gourmet.  It's written on a recipe card and there are no notes regarding changing anything but it's possible that I did and, if I did, it worked.  They are delicious!

 

Spiced Pumpkin Balls-from Gourmet (I think) and me

2 cups pumpkin balls (save the seeds)
1 2/3 cups of sugar
3/4 cup cider vinegar
1/2 cup water
1 cinnamon stick, broken in two
6 whole cloves
6 whole allspice
4 2" strips of lemon peel

Combine all ingredients except the pumpkin in a stainless steel saucepan.  Bring to a boil, lower the heat and simmer for five minutes. 

Add the pumpkin balls and simmer for fifteen minutes.  

Transfer to a pint jar and pour the liquid over.

Chill at least three hours or up to a week.

29 comments:

  1. Really? I don't remember this from last year and I am glad you repeated. Very, very interesting. This is unusual enough I will probably try it. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am intrigued. Do you serve it as a relish, a side dish or dessert? I think this is going to into my "have to try" column. It makes a beautiful picture. Happy Thanksgiving! Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  3. OOOOOh...this is fantastic. I copy paste , it's fabulous!! I'm going to spent my second (the first was in USA <3) T'Day with American friends and I'm going to bring Pumpkin pie... and your spiced pumpkin balls :D .
    HAve a great Thanksgiving, xoxoxoxo Flavia

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interesting - I've never seen anything like this Bonnie!

    Hope you are enjoying our amazing weather!

    ReplyDelete
  5. very interesting... very American but I have a few friends who'd appreciate this... have a great thanksgiving x

    ReplyDelete
  6. These sound good... have never seen them before.

    ReplyDelete
  7. i love spiced peaches and when i picked up a jar last week it was over 4 dollars so i put it back. i think it was 4.78. these pumpkin balls look like they might taste a lot like the peaches. yum

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm glad for the repeat too. What a creative dish Bonnie. Happy Thanksgiving.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds delicious, Bonnie. I remember that recipe from last year... YUM..

    Happy Thanksgiving.
    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  10. Intriguing! How would you serve these, Bonnie? I love pumpkin and should serve it more often than just Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I serve it as a relish on Thanksgiving and then alongside turkey sandwiches later.

      Delete
  11. Do you just scoop out the balls with a melon baller thing. I think these sound wonderful!

    Carol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do scoop out the balls with the larger end of a melon baller. I've been making this recipe for at least 25 years and everyone expects it on the table.

      Delete
  12. I remember this from last year. It is so interesting. I can't imagine what it must taste like but 25 years on the table is quite a tradition! Have a wonderful Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love recipes that have tradition behind them. I bet Thanksgiving dinner is delicious at your house. Hope yours is perfect in every way. (followed by your planning day.)

    Fondly,
    Glenda

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Bonnie! Oh, I've never heard of this before but how pretty they are and sound really good too! Let me see, maybe I can come to your house as I know you're a much better cook that I am! :)
    Happy Thanksgiving, sweetie,
    Shelia ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shelia: I'd love for you to come to my house!!

      Delete
  15. Those sure sound interesting! Thanks for sharing!!!
    XO Kris

    ReplyDelete
  16. Bonnie, I am still loving the phrase "making them since last century"!! I'm reeling at the thought of the many things I've done since last century. LOL! Wishing you and yours a warm and wonderful Thanksgiving Day. blessings ~ tanna

    ReplyDelete
  17. I don't recall this, but it's definitely unique! This is great for pumpkins lovers, with all the spiciness!

    ReplyDelete
  18. This recipe is new to me and sounds delicious! I can see serving them with ice cream as a nice light, yet festive, dessert for Thanksgiving. Thanks for repeating the recipe, Bonnie.

    Have a very Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  19. i have never, never in my life seen or heard of this recipe but I LOVE it and so hope I can do it next year with my leftover pumpkin balls!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'm new here.. I love this idea,what a great use for pumpkin. They'd be a pretty Christmas gift too:D

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a fabulous pickle. It's one I have never thought of doing, but now have moved to my "must-try" list. Have a great day and a restful holiday. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  22. I have never heard of this and I can just imagine your house when this is cooking. I am sure the family is looking forward to this gem.
    Rita

    ReplyDelete
  23. At this point, I don't think there is anything that you can't make!!!

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy hearing from you, my blogging friends.